Saturday, October 29, 2011

SOME POSITIVES IN RIDER WIN TODAY

The Saskatchewan Roughriders closed out the home portion of their schedule today by beating the Hamilton Tiger Cats 19-3.

The Riders put some back-ups in against some Hamilton back-ups and I thought there were a few guys that showed they deserve an invite back next Spring to compete for a starting job, including running back Brandon West, and several defensive players (Ken Rowe, Tearrius George, and Tyron Brackenridge come immediately to mind).  By no means am I anointing these guys, but I didn't mind them today.  I don't share the same enthusiasm about Ryan Dinwiddie as some of the Regina media people are today.  I've seen enough to know he can't come back.  And, if Cole Bergquist ever turns out to be a decent quarterback on some other team...another black eye for the folks making decisions on playing time.  I guess I'll give Ken Miller the benefit of the doubt and agree Bergquist can't play.  However, I'm dumb founded as to why he has managed to stay on the roster for so long.

I left my season tickets in the cupboard for these last two games because I figure if the team has given up, I may as well too.  And, that's something more sports franchises have to understand.  You can't just say you have a team and expect fans to attend.  You have to try to put a competitive product on the field.  That didn't happen this year.  While it may be harsh to boycott the way fans did today, I think it's something worth noting for Jim Hopson as he rebuilds this program.  Either fix this mess, or you are going to have an abundance of empty seats. Fans should not apologize for that.  You can say the typical 'you can't win every year' excuse, but the fact is this team went from three Grey Cup appearances in four years to the toilet.  It's like landing on the 'Go To Jail' square in Monopoly.  Furthermore, when the season was lost, the coaching staff showed how stubborn they really are by continuing to play for 'now' and risking injury to the few keepers they have.  It's true, you don't have to win every year.  But, at least show us something other than a team that goes further and further off the rails with each passing game.

I suspect Hopson will have lots to say when the season is over and I look forward to hearing it.  I don't share some of the fans' opinions that Hopson has to go.  I think that, overall, he's done a real good job and I commend him for letting the football people run the team (even if it's done poorly) during the season and staying away from that aspect.  But, after next week's final game, I believe Hopson will have his say and it will spell the end for a number of players and coaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment