Saturday, October 29, 2011

ROOKIES CAN PAY THEIR DUES WITHOUT HAZING

A few people have asked for my opinion on the hazing incident, seeing as how there have been a few stories about Neepawa on my blog in the last year or so.

Some may be surprised to hear I feel there is a place in sports for rookies to cut their teeth and pay their dues; although I stop well short of saying I condone hazing.

Having rookies clean a dressing room, load the bus, or sit in the most unattractive dressing room stalls is not hazing.  However, the politically correct lunatics out there may suggest it is.

Demeaning or embarrassing a player is hazing and that is the practice that has to be stopped.  The problem is that the line is blurry.  No question, making a 15-or-16 year-old walk around with a milk carton hanging from his scrotum is a major offense.  But, what about shaving a guy's head?  Is that hazing?  Or, how about singing an embarrassing song in a crowded restaurant?  I think a poll of 10 guys will result in mixed results. 

Furthermore, coaches are on the hook for making sure hazing does not occur, but I can tell you controlling a group of 20 teenagers/young men is a task easier said than done.  Most of us have a teenager as a child and most of us (if we are being honest with ourselves) has had that same teenager pull a wool over our eyes to commit an offense that he or she didn't want the parent to find out about.  That's a parent with 1 teenager.  Now, think of a coach who has 20 teenagers to manage or supervise.  Things happen and coaches are not always privy.

The real crime in the Neepawa situation right now is that the kid is not playing.  What bothers me more is the reason why he's not playing.  If the Natives are holding out for the proper compensation, the Commissioner needs to step in and solve the matter.  Personally, I don't think Neepawa should have any say in what they get in return for him.  The boy should be allowed to pick his team and go there.  But, what if teams are nervous about allowing a whistle blower into their room?  If that's the case, an even greater sin is being committed.  Easier said than done, but I'd take this young man in a heartbeat.  What he's done shows a tremendous amount of courage.  And, I'd want young men with courage on my hockey team.

Here's a real good piece on the whole incident and if the story about the victim being forced to apologize is true, then sweeping changes should be made.  I'd go so far as to say the operations of the hockey team should be suspended.
http://www.mywestman.ca/content/view/4084/69/

2 comments:

  1. Both of my kids played hockey. My daughter experienced zero hazing. My son (currently playing the SJ) attended a rookie party. I do not now what went on. Both kids have had many many wonderful experiences with hockey. There is a dark side to (male) hockey - from the way scouts and coaches out right lie to players, glorifying fighting, hazing. Yes, I agree rookie's need to earn their stripes - loading the bus etc. It stops there.

    As a parents who sent their son off this year to play junior hockey we hope like hell that he did not have to experience what the Manitoba player had to endure.

    Why this still goes on in 2011 is beyond us. What is about the hockey world that allows people to think that is OK to treat people that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was expecting something more harsh.....lol

    ReplyDelete