Sunday, January 16, 2011

BACK FROM REGINA

--As I drove into Regina on Friday (late afternoon), my first impression was 'when do city crews start cleaning the streets and what streets do they clean first?'  Yorkton takes a back seat to absolutely no-one in this regard.  When I compare Yorkton street cleaning in the winter to other cities and towns I visit, Yorkton is at the top of the class.  I think a plow went up and down Victoria Avenue overnight Friday/Saturday; but there was definitely nothing on the road as far as alleviating the possibility of slipping and sliding along the ice.  Streets like Arcola and Saskatchewan Drive still hadn't seen snow removal (at least to me) by late Saturday afternoon; but Eastgate (Days Inn) was getting a nice cleaning.  Privately done?  Maybe.  I know a busy place like Regina can't easily be done, but there has to be a way to be more prompt, even if you have to shut down a lane along Victoria in order to get it complete.

--Regina people don't speak nicely about city crews and their snow removal efforts either, at least, from the few I spoke to.  Apparently residential streets are lucky to see snow plows once a year!  Not the gospel, just going by what residents were telling me.  Hopefully municipal taxes aren't too high if that's the case.

--Don't get me wrong, I like going to Regina.  I think it's a very underrated city.  Lots to do, and you can still get from Point A to Point B in a reasonable amount of time without suffering too much in the way of traffic jams.

--Folks ripped a page out of the Gallagher Centre parking lot on Sunday at Evraz Place.  It was hilarious, although if I had been on the wrong side I wouldn't have done any laughing.  A number of lazy people parked as close as they could to the building; but also used up the end of the lane so that any vehicle parked behind them would be boxed in.  Furthermore, vehicles looking to properly park behind them couldn't get in and it clogged things up pretty good.  I don't know why when it comes to parking, that people just completely do the dumbest things.  Anyway, I went into the building and notified Regina Soccer Association officials of the nonsense and, I guess, Evraz Place staff took care of it.  Thankfully.

--I chuckled in the Gallagher Centre parking lot too one night this week as I was attending a Terrier game and noticed people had parked as close to the building as possible, but also had advanced so far north of the doors that simply making a new line east of the doors would make much more sense.  The line extended so far north, I can't imagine anyone wanting to walk that far!  A Festiva could get around the end of the line, so (technically) nothing was blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment