Tuesday, September 7, 2010

POOR MILLIONAIRE DAN ELLIS

National Hockey League goalie Dan Ellis discovered how sensitive people are when millionaires complain about losing money today when he made a comment on his Twitter account that, quickly, grew legs and garnered nationwide attention in both Canada and the United States.

Ellis tweeted (I so hate that word) "If you lost 18% of your income would you be happy?  I can honestly say that I am more stressed about money now than when I was in college."  The comment is laughable, and the mainstream media picked up on it right away.  A subsequent comment is as follows, "$ in no way makes u more happy or makes life easier."

Well, I have a proposal for Dan Ellis:  Let's trade salaries for one month and let's see who's happier and whether or not life becomes more or less easy for each of us.

I have something else to say to Mr. Ellis.  Hopefully he doesn't ever play goal for a Canadian team in the NHL because he will soon find that on top of the 18% salary he loses in escrow, he'll also lose another 40% or so to the taxman.

What's too bad about this is that Ellis is entitled to his opinion and I found the remarks to be quite entertaining.  One thing we have to get over in society is that we need not think making a ton of money is a sin.  I think people get a little wound up when they see a millionaire hockey player belly aching about having to turn over some of his earnings that he feels he's worked hard for and should be able to keep. 

Even in my line of work (sales), I'm not sure how often I've heard someone say, "Well you are making money on this."  Yes, I am making money on this.  I have to make a living and the intent is to make as much money as I can by working as hard as I can.  Anyone who subscribes to that type of philosophy doesn't owe an apology to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment