Monday, September 27, 2010

DAIRY QUEEN TO RETURN BIGGER AND BETTER


This will be in my column for Yorkton This Week, but because it is of extremely high interest to our community, I'm posting it here for the handful of people that check the blog.....

Mark Butchko stopped in to see me at Source Embroidery Monday morning with an ear to ear grin ready to pronounce plans for his Dairy Queen store.  “We are going to demolish the store within the next month.  The new store will be built and I’m only tendering it out to local contractors.  I will be asking Weber’s and Logan-Stevens to bid on the job.  We have been approved for a Grill and Chill. An Orange Julius will also be included and a drive-thru.  At some point, we will have provisions for a full breakfast menu, but will not start that part until we have everything else operating efficiently.  We hope to be fully operational by July or August (2011).  We will need to hire approximately 30 new staff members (full-time and part-time).  People can expect to see the new building start to go up in January or February.”  Butchko added, “I would like to give a special thanks to the City of Yorkton, who have been very co-operative on all aspects to this date.  All inspectors have been a big part of making this happen for me.”

The current store, essentially destroyed by the July 1 flood, was 2060 square feet and this one will be 2800 square feet.  Contrary to rumours circulating around Yorkton (Yorkton?  Rumours?) the new store will be on the existing property.   Butchko says, “We’ve made arrangements with neighbouring businesses for extra parking.” 

Butchko also says he’s very appreciative and overwhelmed at the phone calls, concerns, and cards he’s received from general public.  “It makes me feel very good that people are sympathetic and that goes a long way.  I do have a good memory.  What goes around comes around,” he jokes.

On a personal note, I find Mark to be an amazing community contributor in several ways.  For example, it doesn’t get publicized, but it’s fairly well known Mark makes frequent visits to the hospital and leaves treats for staff and patients.  He (and his wife) is one of the true good guys.  

Feel free to leave a comment for Mark to let him know what you think about having a drive-thru.  If you can't comment (some have emailed me and said the comment thing doesn't work, but others don't seem to have an issue) then send me email to mikestackhouse@hotmail.com 

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome to hear. Good on ya Mark! When the new store opens up (which I'm sure my parents will keep me abreast on) and I'm back visiting the buckle of the garlic belt (that being Ituna and area)my family will make sure we take the 30 minute drive down the ole 52 from Homefield to have some ice cream at the new DQ.

    ReplyDelete