Thursday, May 23, 2013

YORKTON THIS WEEK (May 22)


Pamela Wallin and Mike Duffy both resigned from the Conservative caucus this week amidst the expense scandals plaguing the senators over the last few months.  Both are sitting as Independents, which is hilarious in itself because senators are ‘appointed’ rather than ‘elected’.  So if you are are resigning or expelled, shouldn’t that mean you are out of the senate entirely?  Wallin gets a free pass in these parts, seeing as she’s from Wadena, but this is a black and white issue to me.  She’s talking about ‘the audit process’.  What it comes down to is that she’s an intelligent woman.  She knows if she was abusing taxpayer dollars.  She doesn’t need an audit to tell her so.

Duffy is a real piece of work.  This guy made a living hammering on dishonest politicians and now he, maybe, takes the cake at being the biggest crook of them all.  In addition to screwing the taxpayers out of $90 000, comes word the Prime Minister’s top aide cut Duffy a personal cheque to pay the money back.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t have any friends in my life that are willing to bail me out of a $90 000 jam such as the one Duffy was in.  We are also hearing stories that Duffy and this aide aren’t even close.  The aide has since resigned his post as well.  And, I wonder if Duffy knows this ‘gift’ is tax deductable?

There are also reports that certain damning findings were actually removed on Duffy’s audit report.  If there was ever a case for a politician to be sent to jail, this is it.  There is evidence he knew exactly what he was doing even though Duffy claimed, “the rules are not clear.”  Again, Duffy is a smart man.  He knows where he lives.  He’s splitting hairs talking about ‘rules’.  It would be like me calling my seasonal campsite at Canora Beach my primary place of residence.  The guy has played us for fools and it appears as though there is nothing that can be done about it.  Try stealing money from your employer and then offer to give it back after they catch you.  Will that keep you out of the clink?

The Liberals, Conservatives, and NDP can argue about politics all they want; but the one thing they all agree on is trying to keep expenses private so they can abuse the heck out of the taxpayer.  I refer back to my inquiry with my own local MP, which went unanswered even to this day.  Here’s something else to chew on  with regards to politicians abusing our money:   Wallin (who has a lot more going on with regards to duties than Garry Breitkreuz) spent just over $142 000 from March 1, 2011-February 29, 2012.  Breitkreuz spent over $157 000 during the same time frame.  (Figures obtained from a Vancouver Sun story on February 13, 2013).   Either Wallin’s innocent or more politicians should be looked at closer. 

When considering how much a person (or politician) spends on a cross country trip, I don’t mind telling you I spent about $1500 on a recent jaunt from Saskatchewan to New Brunswick.  This includes all meals, lodging, as well as a vehicle rental for three days while I was there and gifts for the family.  You would have to make about 100 of those trips a year to get to the kind of numbers claimed in the above paragraph.  Seeing as how my trip was for six days, a hundred trips would equal 600 days and there are only 365 days in a year.  I didn’t skimp either.  I rented an SUV and ate at the Keg. 

I have nothing but shame for the Toronto Star for releasing reports about that city’s mayor, Rob Ford, being seen on video smoking crack.  The only evidence they have is that two of their reporters claim to have seen the video.  Well, unless that video is authenticated, you can’t report on it.  It’s tabloid journalism, at best, and I think Ford should sue the Star for libel and slander.  The fact that he hasn’t does make me suspicious.  Still, unless you have proof for the whole world to see, you can’t claim this ‘story’ as ‘news’.  It’s a rumor, perpetuated by a media outlet.  And, to think we used to rely on the media to give us the facts to confirm or deny rumors. 
Some days you shouldn’t get out of bed.  Over the weekend, I had one of those days.  I went over a bump on Circlebrooke Drive while towing our camper and busted all the dishes.  I got out to the campsite and trying to back the camper up was an epic fail.  By the time I was done I had blown out the power steering in my truck. 

The Brooks Bandits won the RBC Cup over the weekend.  That’s the same Brooks Bandits that defeated the Yorkton Terriers 1-0 for the final spot in the RBC Cup at the finals of the Western Canada Cup.  Yes, I think Yorkton was very, very close to being a national champion.
Nice person mentions this week to Sharleen Nagy, Dana Prystupa, Melissa Christianson, Naomi Paley, and Sandy Zielinski.

No comments:

Post a Comment