Wednesday, May 2, 2012

STACKHOUSE SOAPBOX (Yorkton This Week May 2)


I want to say a public thank-you to the emails of support I got from last week’s column concerning the overkill traffic blitz that was held in Yorkton a couple of weeks ago.  A few people asked if I was sour because I, in fact, got a ticket.  No.  I stayed off the roads those two days.  I’m sure I would have.  It seems like everyone else did.  I got my ticket in January and while I considered fighting it in court, I realized I don’t have any recourse.  If a police officer says you have blown a stop sign, you have blown a stop sign.  The odds of a stranger, paying enough attention to another vehicle to determine whether or not I stopped for three solid seconds, is slim and none.  The chances of me finding this stranger to appear on my behalf in court are also slim and none and slim just walked out the door.   Isn’t it funny how traffic offenses really offer no real means of a defense for those that are accused.  Meanwhile, it’s getting to the point that you almost need to capture a murder on video in order to get a conviction. 
I won’t beat a dead horse, but some of the stories I received from folks telling me how they got their tickets is mind boggling and should be embarrassing to those that handed them out. 
Am I the only person that feels as though International Development Minister Bev Oda belongs in a prison cell?  In June 2011, Oda attended an international conference in London, England.  Organizers had rooms reserved at a five-star hotel; but Oda chose to upgrade to the Savoy Hotel (known for housing royalty and Hollywood stars).  Since Oda was no longer staying at the site of the conference, she needed a taxi, so she chartered a limousine at a cost of $1000 a day.  And, somewhere she found the time to drop $16 on a glass of orange juice.  This is why you can’t take politicians seriously and why more and more of us are becoming apathetic to politics.  Oda has repaid most of the money, apparently, but I’m betting only because she got caught.  The majority of us in the general public just roll our eyes at such stories and move on to the next one about a corrupt politician.
An American insurance company is promoting ‘marriage insurance’ as a way of financially protecting couples who don’t stay married, while also rewarding those who do.  While marriages that end in divorce would be ‘softened’ by the fact the union has insurance on it, couples who stay together for 25 years would receive a $100 000 pay out on their anniversary.  
In a deteriorating world of local broadcasting, the morning duo of Heather Anderson and Rustie Dean are a breath of fresh air.  Check them out on Global Regina every morning from 6am-9am.  I’m a harsh critic when it comes to broadcasting and feel there are way too many people trying to make a living at it when they have clearly missed their calling.  Public appearances are fewer and farther between than even ten years ago.  But, Anderson and Dean are highly visible in the Regina area.  Of course, if the announcers aren’t much good, does the public even have an appetite to see them?  Yorkton’s best is sports guy Craig Stein (and it’s not even close for second).  Stein is also very visible in the community through hockey broadcasts and banquet speaking engagements.  With a young family, it’s not easy for him to be at all these things, so kudos to Craig. 
In fact, if I was hiring a hockey play by play announcer and I received Craig’s demo tape along with TSN’s Gord Miller’s demo tape on my desk for the same job; I’d hire Stein in a heartbeat. 
The second season of Breakout Kings wrapped up on Sunday.  It’s a ‘can’t miss’ for anyone that dug Prison Break in its heyday.  Nick Santora is the writer of both programs.  If you haven’t been up to speed, but think it’s something you’d like to check out I think it’s on Netflix. 
The only thing worse than paying athletes way too much to play, is paying athletes way too much to go away.  The Anaheim Angels, since August 2009, have released the following:  Justin Speier ($6.5 million), Scott Kazmir ($9.5 million), and Bobby Abreu ($9 million).  They also traded and ate a lot of the contract signed by Gary Matthews ($21 million).  That’s a lot of cake. 
Twitter was shown at its worst following the Washington-Boston NHL playoff series last week when a bunch of people who haven’t left their living rooms for years tweeted racial slurs toward Joel Ward, who scored the OT winner in game seven.  Twitter was also shown at its best that same night when Alexander Semin tweeted:  “Hi, Mr. Thomas (Tim Thomas, the Boston goalie).  This is Sasha form the Leo J. Martin Memorial Golf Course.  I’m calling to confirm your 9am tee time tomorrow.”
Nice person mentions this week to Glen Vargo, Ken Karius, Martin Smith, Trent Meyer, Karen Renton, and Ryan Hoffman.

No comments:

Post a Comment