Monday, April 16, 2012

STACKHOUSE SOAPBOX (Yorkton This Week Apr 11)

By no means do I want my column to be an advertisement for local businesses, but I do feel the need to share a bit of my experience in a new fitness class called TRX.  In a nutshell, it’s suspension training.  Born in the Navy SEALs, suspension training bodyweight exercise develops strength, balance, flexibility, and core stability simultaneously.  It’s also slowly killing me!  I consider myself of average to above average healthy when comparing myself to other guys my age.  Nevertheless, I had no idea I was in as bad a shape as I, apparently, am when it comes to using certain muscles.  I think the habit we can get into while exercising is that we have a tendency to concentrate on the same areas of our body time and time again.  So, when you shock yourself by trying something new, you pay for it.  I joked that after last Wednesday’s class, I was destined to sit on the couch for the next five days and not move because I was so sore.  But, the reality is that I feel great and if you are one of these people that are considering a lifestyle change, I can tell you that a class atmosphere is a real good way to get yourself going.  I’ve worked out alone for the last few years; but there is something about doing it with a group of people all striving towards a common goal that gives you a sense of teamwork as well.   And, in Yorkton we do not have a shortage of fitness facilities to try.

As I headed to Weyburn on Thursday to broadcast games three and four of the Canalta Cup finals between the Red Wings and Humboldt Broncos, I remembered that my front passenger tire needed some air.  In Fort Qu’Appelle there were two service stations.  Neither of them had air.  In Qu’Appelle, there was one station, but again it didn’t have an option for pumping tires.  So, I went to Weyburn and figured I’d pump up there.  Again, no dice.  I tried four different places and none of them had a place for getting air.  Finally, the next day I was able to locate one; but it costs a dollar to use the pump.  Charging for air? 
Let it be known the highway (I think it’s the 35) to Weyburn from Qu’Appelle is a disaster.  I’ve never traveled a stretch like that where  a road could do significant damage to your vehicle like this one can.  Patching doesn’t work.  In fact, it might make things worse.  Either fix it, or lay down some gravel and turn it into a dirt road. 

Special thanks to Thor Berge, who sent an email last week outlining some accomplishments of Yorkton athletes.  Of note, Adam Becker went to a national chess tournament and Ashley Schrader is doing the same in bowling.  In soccer, Yorkton United FC U14 Boys and U14/16 Girls all won their Division II Provincials in Saskatoon at the end of February.  In hockey, the Peewee AA, Bantam A, and Peewee A clubs all won their events.  Thor suspects there are even more winners in gymnastics and dance competitions are still in progress.  In addition, Andy Wyatt is a co-winner of SaskSoccer’s Grassroots Coach Of The Year.  Sounds like we have a sports story for one of the reporters!

I also received an email regarding the Manitoba Junior ‘B’ Hockey situation involving Norway House, whereby it was determined they would have to play their home games in a neutral site in the wake of unnecessary violence that occurred in a series between the North Stars and Selkirk Fishermen.  The emailer supported the Keystone Junior Hockey League’s decision, but I am having second thoughts now after reading the email.  Apparently, the Selkirk players were not injured in Norway House; but rather in Selkirk.  A couple of players required hospital visits and Norway House took 19 penalties in the third period alone of one of the games.  Norway House was also on probation, according to this person, for questionable conduct from earlier in the year.   The North Stars did, in fact, play some neutral site home games in the Selkirk series and emerged the winners.  After losing the first two games of the final against Arborg, a press conference was held denouncing the league decision to move their home games to a neutral site and they ended up forfeiting the series.  I guess my thought process is why would the players be any safer in a neutral site then they would be in Norway House if the others were actually injured in Selkirk?  Nevertheless, if the accusations against Norway House are true, I would boot them out of the league permanently once the series is over.   

Nice person mentions this week to Lynndell Popoff, Rob Broda, Ryan Hoffman, Garth Hilts, Arielle Wood, and Graham Condo.

No comments:

Post a Comment