Thursday, October 13, 2011

NEEPAWA NATIVES INVESTIGATED FOR HAZING

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/10/13/hockey-officials-investigate-possible-hazing-incident

While I never like to see a story like this, I can't say I'm entirely shocked.  If you were to ask me about a seriously negative story arising from a junior hockey organization, I would have suggested if there was one out there, Neepawa would be on the top of my list.

As I've said before, all you have to do is log onto the Network 54 MJHL message forum and you can spend hours on end reading about the polarizing figures involved with that organization.  And, while message boards tend to have their fair share of garbage associated with the posts, there are a number that are also written by very well informed people, such as players, parents, and other coaches.

At the end of last season, I decided to 'sit' on a story where I talked to several former Neepawa players, who didn't speak highly of their experience there due to those involved with making on-ice decisions.  At the risk of identifying those players, I will say no more at this point in time.  What I had was a very one-sided story and it did not reflect well on the Natives.  I wanted them to have a chance to refute or explain the information I had gathered.

I submitted a list of questions via email to Bryant Perrier (head coach), who declined to answer and wished to speak with me on the phone.  We had a good chat and he invited me to come to Neepawa so he could show me all the good things he's doing with the organization.  I have not, to this point, taken him up on his offer.  I worked in Brandon for five years and spent considerable time in Neepawa covering the Natives through the Brad Wells, Jeff Pister, and Craig Atkinson (all excellent guys and good coaches) years.  I'm fairly familiar with how things are run.  We ended up not doing the interview.  Honestly, I wasn't comfortable taking words in a phone conversation with him and putting them on my blog as I'd risk taking him out of context.  I wanted it in writing so nothing could be confused or slanted.

Last summer, I stated publicly that their prized acquisition (goalie Wendell Vye) would be a good bet to not make the season, which he didn't.  He left in December, along with the Director of Player Personnel, who was dismissed somewhat controversially (depending on who you talk to).  Privately, I have told some other junior hockey observers that I have concern this franchise is going to struggle in a very serious way going forward and they are off to an 0-8-and-1 start.  They are scoring just two goals a game and giving up an average of over 4.50.  Because it was my 'home team' for five years, I want Neepawa to rebound and be a competitive team again.  At this point, they seem to have a very, very long way to go.

2 comments:

  1. This article is fantastic. I dont understand how the Executive can ignore all that has gone on and is going on? The team (because of on-ice decisions) is a disaster. What is really unfortunate is that kids are left to be in this enviromment because they love the game and want to play. The unwritten rule is that you dont speak out against the coach because of the power the coach has over the players. I would suggest that this culture creates damaging results for the young athletes that will affect their lives negatively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but much of the blame has to be with the executive. They brought in Perrier and gave him a solid public endoresement last year. Yes Perrier has made a significant contribution in destoying this franchise but the executive must shoulder a lot of the blame as well.
    This will be the last year of Junior hockey in Neepawa for a couple of reasons. Perrier, a poor team and poor attendence and the arrival of the Neepawa Farmers, a solid group of local senior players who will put a lot of people in the rink.
    You need the top guys on the executive to be "hockey" people. Vivian brings his wallet and MacinTosh brings his ego but neither understands hockey and what is required in solid dependable on ice leadership.

    ReplyDelete