Monday, July 18, 2011

I LIKE THE SASK PARTY, BUT....

Someday, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at politics, but I don't think any political party would ever take me on. I just don't conform to any one party's beliefs.  Sure, there are political parties that I agree with 'most' of the time; but there isn't a single one out there that I would be willing to just nod my head affirmative no matter what decision is made.

We all know a politician goes nowhere as an Independent, so I think I'm probably out of luck as far as a political career is concerned.

Take the Saskatchewan Party, for example.  Yorkton MLA Greg Ottenbreit is someone I consider to be a friend and I would vote for him as a person, not as a representative of any particular party.

Over the weekend, Greg impressed me with his due diligence as I expressed on my Facebook page my total annoyance that the Saskatchewan Party would phone me, repeatedly, looking for a donation.  I can appreciate that 75% is a tax write-off, but Canadians are already taxed to the hilt.  Why would we want to empty our pockets even further to support a political party?  Furthermore, to undertake this campaign through telemarketing, which 99% of Canadians find very annoying, is puzzling to me.  I would be more apt to give money if Greg himself knocked on my door some evening and said, "Mike, we need your financial help to win the next election."  I'm not saying I would give anything, but it would definitely make more of an impact to me.   I realize not everyone thinks the way I do, but my opinion is that if you do a good job while in office, I'm going to vote for you in the next election.  You don't need to sell me with an advertising campaign, yet I understand the need to do it.

Anyway, Greg responded to my rant on Facebook on Saturday and, quickly, took steps to have my name removed from the Sask Party's telephone list.  It was further demonstrated when a Sask Party representative left me a message at work today.  Thank-you Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment