Monday, April 18, 2011

YOU WANT YOUR BLOCK KNOCKED OFF?

The Raffi Torres hit on Brent Seabrook last night is generating all sorts of wide ranging opinions concerning whether or not he should be suspended.

I have long been calling for automatic stiff suspensions for hits to the head such as this.

I'm changing my tune.  Not because I'm a Canucks fan, but rather because I don't get a feeling that hockey players or the majority of hockey fans want to see the game altered to the point where players aren't getting their daylights knocked out.

As a parent, I've made a choice that the game is too violent and dangerous for my son to play.  That's a personal decision.  I just feel that, as a hockey player, you are not signing up for that kind of a life changing collision.  My son can play soccer, baseball, swimming, pretty much whatever he wants.  Heck, he can even play football because at least he'll be able to see the hit coming!

Clearly, I'm in the minority.  And, that's fine.  Tough guy Krys Barch was all over Twitter last night saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with the hit.  Meanwhile, Islander sweetheart Michael Grabner had a much different take with his Tweets.  Therein lies the problem with hockey.  I think you have a certain faction that wants no part of this violence and some that are of the understanding you can freight-train a guy who's not looking and that it's simply part of the game.

At least with football, every player that straps on a helmet understands the risk of a major injury.  It's no different than auto racing, where drivers assume the risk that each race might be his last day on earth.  Hockey players aren't at that point.  While they are willing to accept that they may lose a few teeth, break the odd leg, heck even become paralyzed due to a hit from behind, I don't think hockey players are in full agreement that getting knocked senseless while not handling the puck is a part of the game. I'm arguing that it might be.  The NHL has to step up and either come down with really harsh penalties for those that do it, or else say this is hockey and not figure skating.  Suck it up and play or beat it.

And, therefore, it has to come down to personal choice.  If Sidney Crosby decides this kind of violence isn't for him and he walks away, then I'm all for it.  However, if Crosby also chooses to come back and play, he also has to understand that these violent full body checks to the head are a reality and he may deal with concussion like symptoms for the rest of his life.  The price you could, conceivably, pay for being a National Hockey League player.  Don't whine about it.  Just play.  Or, don't play.  Simple as that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZDE9H3_vU

2 comments:

  1. You really don't allow your children to play hockey cause its to violent???

    I really don't think minor hockey is violent Mike. Very Unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a not a matter of 'let'. I just have never steered him in that direction. If he asked, I would never say 'no'.

    The subject of minor hockey, though, is something that might be worth a whole column onto itself.

    ReplyDelete