Thursday, March 17, 2011

MJHL HANDS DOWN 40 GAME SUSPENSION

You have to love the internet.  Just a few years ago, fans wouldn't be able to pass their own judgement because the video wouldn't be so widely available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGguT7TREc

For what it's worth, I'm tired of the violence in hockey.  I'm not really talking about junior hockey, but rather the National Hockey League.  I think the major junior ranks and the Junior 'A' leagues are doing a good job at trying to outlaw dangerous hits.

I don't usually applaud the MJHL for taking a stand because I see their league as being a follower more than a leader; but this time they are right on the mark and full credit to Kim Davis (Commissioner) on this one.

Anybody that says Jesse Enns should not get 40 games is simply comparing this hit to NHL hits that have resulted in far fewer games as far as suspensions go.  The fact is this:  the NHL is way too lenient in handing down these types of penalties and the Enns suspension is the one that should be followed as a benchmark or precedent.

More and more the NHL is losing me as a fan.  If not for fantasy drafts, which I enter as a social activity to stay connected with friends, I wouldn't pay any attention to the NHL whatsoever.  If I wanted to see the blindside hits, checking from behind, and guys smashing into the turnbuckle, I would watch the MMA (I don't), WWE (I don't), or Roller Derby (I don't).

Some fans will say the players know what they are getting into, so why are we trying to change the fabric of the game and make it more like figure skating?  Well, because some of us actually like hockey for skating, shooting, scoring, big saves, and hard hits to the body that don't result in brain injuries.

Swan Valley's assistant coach got a 22 game suspension, which may or may not be warranted.  I can't tell from the video who started it; but here's what I do know:  as a coach you have to show an example as to how you want your players to behave.  If you are engaging in fisticuffs with an opposing coach, that sends a message.  And, it's not a positive one.  I am in the process of taking my NCCP Baseball coaching online module and believe more than ever from what I am learning that players will take on the reflection of their coach.  If you are a coach that can't control himself, there is a very likely chance your players will be highly undisciplined.

Again, I'll use an SJHL example of that:  Notre Dame was the least penalized team in the league this year.  I don't know Kevin White personally, but I suspect he is a classy individual with a great deal of professionalism and is in control of his emotions.  I know for a fact the coach of the second least penalized team in the league has these characteristics:  Trent Cassan of the Yorkton Terriers.  Dean Brockman and the Humboldt Broncos were the third least penalized team.  Do you see a pattern?

I realize I am in the minority when it comes to this stance and that's why the NHL has done precious little in the way of curbing this behaviour from players.  Nevertheless, it's my opinion anyway!

And, full marks to the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for this stiff penalty.  Be warned MJHL players and coaches:  if you want to step outside the bounds of a regular hockey game, you now see what the repercussions will be.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you Mike. It is like parenting, if there is no disipline from the parents then the kids will act uncontrablly. If a hockey player sees a coach act this way he must think it is ok do so as well.

    ReplyDelete