Saturday, November 20, 2010

MILS-TERRIERS RECAP

The Melville Millionaires won the first of the home and home set with Yorkton on Friday night.  I'm not sure if I'll make Saturday's game or not; but here are a few things I noticed from last night on both sides.

MELVILLE
-Dane Bonish may be their most improved player from a year ago; although Zach Rakochy deserves mention too judging from the way he's played at home the last two games I've seen in Melville.

-Brayden Metz was ill and should not have played last night; but he still scored an impressive goal after coming out of the penalty box in the second period.

-Fans waiting for a big splash from Jamie Fiesel as far as a new goalie in town to partner with Rakochy will be disappointed.  Rakochy is the clear cut number one and any move (expected to be announced Monday) will be done keeping that fact in mind.

-Roger Tagoona is developing into a nice player while filling in for Mark Owen on the Metz-Lucas Froese line.

-Taylor Metz is a capable Junior 'A' player judging from what I saw last night.

YORKTON
-Clarke Breitkreuz is not even close to being a certified hockey tough guy, but he gets full marks from me for standing up to the much bigger and certainly more experienced Craig Karius after his linemate, Robbie Ciolfi, was hit hard along the boards.  My dealings with Breitkreuz have been infrequent, but from what I have seen, I would take him on my team any day.

-Davis Vandane is going to help this team in a big way as far as offense goes from the point.  He's got a cannon of a shot and he sees the ice really well.  To me, I think he could add an element of mean to his game (think Chris Pronger) and he'd be a real tough player to face.  You never like to see a player take penalties; but I wouldn't mind if Vandane went a little heavy with the lumber every now and again to keep others honest.

-Devon McMullen impresses me every time I see him.  He threw a nice hip check on Michael Desjarlais and also had a key blocked shot last night.  Oh yeah, for those that haven't seen him:  he's 5'8" 155 lbs.

-Another former Yorkton Harvest player, Brenden Poncelet, is going to be a better junior player than he was a midget. He's got future captain written all over him.

-I wonder if Warren Shymko will start tonight?  His numbers are excellent, but the Terriers have also picked their spots well with him as far as when to use him.  Still, he's earned an opportunity to play in a game that is of importance.

4 comments:

  1. A couple of comments of my own.

    1. How much is Gerry paying for the comments, and 2. I agree, Poncelet is going to be a great junior player, in Ochapowace starting Dec. 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only someone anonymous would say something like that. Gerry can pay as much as he wants. I need the money. Only if the Terriers move the franchise to Ochap will Poncelet be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're talking about Gerry Vandane yeah of course he thinks davis is pretty good and talks about him alot it's his son, but davis also goes on the ice every game and backs it up so there is no need for Gerry to pay off anyone to brag up his kid. I know Gerry well enough and for you to say that anonymously says alot about your character.

    ReplyDelete