Sunday, November 14, 2010

LIVE SPORTS EVENTS: WATCH LIVE OR AT HOME ON TV?

The Saskatchewan Roughriders didn't sell out their home playoff date this year; which should come as a really big surprise.

The Riders, in recent years, have treated their fans to home playoff games, but this is hardly a franchise rich in tradition when it comes to hosting postseason contests.

A closer look, however, reveals maybe more at play.

Here is a look at some of the plus's and minus's when it comes to watching live as opposed to watching on tv.

--You have the benefit of being able to say 'I was there' when people talk about the Clermont reception in double overtime.  (Plus for watching live)

--My recliner in the basement is far more comfortable than the wooden bench that we are all squeezed into at the game (Plus for watching on tv)

--I get to see coach's challenge replays on the big screen 0 times, while at home on tv I get to see from every angle imaginable that TSN will show me, and if I am PVRing the game, I can rewind at my leisure too.  (Plus for watching on tv)

--The temperature in my basement for a Rider playoff game is about 20-degrees.  The temperature at the game, itself, was about 0.  (Plus for watching on tv)

--A small popcorn and a bottle of water costs $8 at a Rider game.  A beer will get me an additional $6.  The ticket, itself (I think) was $67.  At home, I have water in my tap, my wife (God bless her) will probably make something tasty in the oven (won't cost me anything as far as cash is concerned), and if I decide to have a beer, it's probably from a trip to the liquor store months ago and so it feels like free.  (Plus for watching on tv, although the popcorn at the game is high end)

--Game atmosphere as far as energy and excitement is concerned (Plus for watching the game live).

The way the game is televised now, it's pretty difficult to make a case for going and watching 'live', especially in cases where the weather is a little chilly.  The big challenge for all sports teams is to make the fan experience something over and above what you are used to getting at a live event.  One real easy change is to start showing the coach challenge replays on the big screen.  What are we hiding?  Referees are going to get booed regardless of the decision they make, so I don't see fan influence being a reason as to why you wouldn't show something under review.  Besides, the actual decision isn't made at the stadium anyway, it comes from the so-called War Room.  Apparently, the NHL also does this and so does the NFL.  Can anyone tell me 'why'?

Feel free to share your own plus and minus points for watching games live or on television.

1 comment:

  1. I would take being at the game live anyday over watching at home. In my opinion that's not even a debate andf when the game is as awesome as it was Sunday that's just a bonus

    ReplyDelete