Saturday, October 30, 2010

OBSERVATIONS FROM LAST NIGHT'S GAME OF THE WEEK

The Weyburn Red Wings split up their top two lines and I really liked how things clicked for them.  Jesse Ross played with Brock Appleyard and Drew George; while Coltyn Sanderson lined up with Rod and Shawn Cowie.  The Wings now have two very good scoring lines and Keegan Bruce looks like he's going to provide them with good secondary scoring moving forward.

I am more impressed with defenseman Ryan Whitell each time I see him.  It was great to see Rhys Thomas back on the ice.  I know he's played 7 games, but that's the first time I've, personally, seen him play in about a year.  He has the ability to be one of the best offensive rearguards in the league.

Andrew Dommett was in the press box last night, and while I didn't get a chance to speak to him; it sounds like he's recovering nicely from his broken jaw.  I think he'll back playing sooner rather than later.

Kindersley's effort last night was one of the worst I've seen by an SJHL team this year.  I'm not sure if they recognized early they weren't going to win, so they are saving their game for Estevan tonight; or whether there is more at play.  Full marks to Riley Down for trying to spark the team at 3-0 by dropping the mitts with Blake Kirkham, even if Kirkham got the better of him.

Mitch Kilgore wasn't busy, but looked sharp.  Injuries to Riley Hengen and Zane Weal sound long term.

Special thanks to Brendan Ullrich for taking time before the broadcast to do an interview for SJ This Week.  Ullrich is the new voice of the Klippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment