Tuesday, September 14, 2010

RIDERS RELEASE RODRIGUEZ AND DORSEY

So, the Saskatchewan Roughriders stepped up and made two major moves today by releasing wide receiver Prechae Rodriguez and shelving return guy Dominique Dorsey by burying him on the 9-game injured list.

Both of these transactions should come as a shock to nobody.  In fact, it's too bad coaching/management waited this long before making a decision.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen Rodriguez benched a number of weeks ago when it appeared he was less than 100% in the effort department.  I wonder if it would have motivated him at all.  Instead, fans were treated to 10 rather uneventful games from him and will now watch him go out the door.  I also can't help but wonder if he was miscast somehow.  I guess if he never materializes as a CFL star anywhere else, we know the answer to that question.

As far as Dorsey is concerned, I also would have liked to have either seen him benched or maybe utilized as a change of pace back to Wes Cates to see if he could get going somehow.  But, that was weeks ago and this decision is hard to argue.  Hugh Charles will now handle kick returns and Weston Dressler is now the punt returner.  It will be interesting, to say the least, to see how much the results differ.

Even with these two subtractions, the result Friday night will be no different unless some in-game changes are made with regards to schemes and effort level.  I am a bit bothered by Darian Durant saying on The Sports Cage that he was not embarrassed by Sunday's 31-2 loss, but rather disappointed.  I know he's trying to put on a professional face and say 'the right things', but I've always felt if you show me a good loser, I will show you a loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment