Saturday, September 18, 2010

BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR

The Saskatchewan Roughriders played the best game I've seen in the last two months, and perhaps the entire season in defeating the Calgary Stampeders 43-37 on Friday night.

There was a lot that I liked about this, including the decision to have Eddie Johnson punt with no time left in the fourth quarter.  Luca Congi has not been automatic this season.  I know a 35-yard field goal seems simple.  Still, he was iced twice (once by his own team!).  Johnson has been the best punter we've seen at Mosaic Stadium in quite a long time.  It looked like Johnson stepped back a further ten yards to prevent a Calgary block.  Turns out, he shanked his punt and it was one of the worst boots he's had since becoming a Rider.  I guess you could call the coaching decision bizarre, but I'm happy to report the team was actually 'coached' for a change.  If Johnson had executed, the Riders would have gotten the single point.  I suppose the same could be said for Congi if given the chance to kick the field goal.  From what I've seen the last three or four weeks, I have more confidence in Johnson than I do in Congi.

The third quarter touchdown drive that ended with Hugh Charles scoring on a 30-yard run was fantastic.  The coaching staff utilized Jason Clermont and then surprised Calgary by removing Wes Cates from the back field and giving the ball to Charles, who made a cut and went outside for his successful scamper.  I'm watching a replay of the game on television as I write this and even Chris Cuthbert made the mistake of calling Cates' name when Charles got the hand off.

I thought this was the most well coached game Saskatchewan has had in quite a while.  If you think about it, what's the biggest strength on this team?  The receivers.  So, the game plan was to send the receivers down field and let Darian Durant sling the ball to them.  Furthermore, they found a way to get Andy Fantuz and Weston Dressler more involved.  I'm not so sure Durant had more time behind the offensive line, but he certainly got rid of the ball much quicker than in recent weeks.

As far as Calgary is concerned, I think there is probably not a team in the league that can compete with them when they are on their game.  Tonight, they had a handful of key players that were more concerned with communicating with the Roughrider fans and trash talking.

Unfortunately, Roughrider fans do something embarrassing on a regular basis and tonight was no different as they showered the field, briefly, with beer cans on a supposed missed pass interference play.

No comments:

Post a Comment