Friday, August 6, 2010

RANDOM SPORTS THOUGHTS

--Guys like Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez are cheats and neither really has a personality designed to be likeable.  If Lance Armstrong is found to be a cheat, it figures to devastate a lot of people.  Armstrong successfully overcame cancer and I suspect will play the 'look at all the good I've done' card should the circle around him start to shrink, as I think it's going to.

--Bonds, Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, Rafael Palmeiro, Roger Clemens, etc. should never go into the Baseball Hall Of Fame.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  I know there are people that suggest you can't ignore these guys; but cheating is cheating.  What kind of a consequence is it for these players to cheat, go through a small amount of public ridicule, and then get recognized for being great?  I say if you are a 'cheat', then you are a 'fraud' and the baseball world has every right to ignore you if so desired.

--I can't believe a wide spread performance enhancing drug scandal has not occured in hockey.



--Another reason to hate the New York Yankees:  They are paying Kei Igawa $4-million dollars (he doesn't even play anymore and was terrible when he did) this season.  The team worker that recovered A-Rod's #600 home run ball was rewarded with an autographed bat.  Classless.  If a fan got that ball, it would go for $100 000 minimum.  That's a drop in the bucket for the bottomless pit of money the Yankees have.


--The Neepawa Natives just picked up a goalie that was highly sought in the world of Junior 'A' hockey.  Perhaps things have changed in Neepawa.  When I lived in Brandon, they were an organization that ran on a shoestring budget.

UPDATE - The next part of the comment isn't fair to Wendell Vye.  I was notified by the Natives they were unhappy with the remark and upon a re-read, I can't say I blame them.  It was very poorly done.  I apologize.

There is no point in clarifiying it, although I will say small budget Junior 'A' teams usually are not successful in getting out-of-province highly sought players because of the future considerations that need to be compensated to the other Junior 'A' team that has the player's rights.  Suffice to say Neepawa is looking to be very serious at contending for an MJHL title this season

I see the Vye acquisition has generated a lot of attention for the folks who have a lot of what I call 'keyboard courage'.  These are people who post on the Network 54 MJHL Forum who like to make outlandish statements and not put their name behind it.  I will admit to making a mistake on the Vye comment.  At least I'm easy to find, maybe I shouldn't be in case I'm threatened with legal action.

--Tyson Gay defeated Usain Bolt in a 100m race today.  One report I read said Bolt ran a pedestrian 9.97 .  I wonder how fast that reporter runs?

No comments:

Post a Comment