Wednesday, July 7, 2010

SOAPBOX (Yorkton This Week July 7)

Last week’s ‘Flood Of The Century’ has really put a damper (you have to find a way to be as light hearted as you can about this) on my desire to span the city, province, country, globe, etc. but I think if I dedicated the entire column to flood stuff, it would be depressing.


Nevertheless, as you maybe know by now; the city has been declared a disaster area and residents are now eligible to make claims through the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program. Call City Hall if you aren’t sure where to start.

One report says Yorkton received 76 millimetres of rain in one hour on Canada Day, while the average monthly rainfall for June is 71 millimetres.

I would also ask residents to be patient while the business community gets back up to speed. Restaurants like McDonald’s and Dairy Queen are great contributors to our economy. Let’s make sure we give them all the support we can going forward. There are other businesses affected as well, including the one I work full-time for (Source Embroidery). I can assure you that the powers-that-be are doing everything in their power to re-open as quickly as possible so that life can return to ‘normal’.

I don’t like using the phrase ‘it could be worse’ because no matter what catastrophe you go through, things could always be worse. However, when I look at the pictures on the internet of what happened one day later near Raymore on the Kawacatoose First Nation; it makes me feel extremely thankful as more than a dozen families had their homes and vehicles destroyed by a tornado.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders opened the season with a 54-51 win over Montreal on the same afternoon the rains came pouring down in Yorkton. The game is being hailed as, perhaps, the best CFL season opener ever. I watched highlights and it definitely is one I’m sorry I missed. I don’t like to be negative after such a thrilling victory, but if there was one penalty you’d think the Riders make sure they never ever take again, what do you think it would be? Well, they just about lost the game on another 13th man penalty. Who’s fault is this? I didn’t like that when the Grey Cup was lost on the 13th man penalty, Ken Miller didn’t single out who the idiot was. People are a lot less accountable when shielded in this manner. I have said for the better part of two years now that the Riders are an amazingly talented team, but they are out-coached on a regular basis. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter and the Riders win anyway. In keeping with the Riders, Darian Durant is the best quarterback in the CFL. I’ve been saying it for about a year now, and he showed last week that I am right!

Lost in the middle of the flood story is the fact Kim Walker’s second degree murder verdict was overturned last week and a new trial has been ordered. My thoughts at the moment focus on punishment vs. rehabilitation. The bleeding hearts will often point to the need to rehabilitate cold blooded criminals so that they can become productive members of the community. I wonder what those same people would think when it comes to Walker? What type of rehabilitation can be done here? I would be confident in saying he’s not a threat to society.

Another sign the world is coming to an end: there will soon be a television station geared to nothing but reality tv.

While I am not a fan of reality tv, I have come to embrace social media. Last week, I started blogging. I’m not ready to say I’m going to be a diligent blogger, but I’m giving it a shot. Mikestackhouse.blogspot.com if you are interested.

I love Twitter. I’ve started following Dave Zinczenko, the Editor In Chief of Men’s Health Magazine. He’s also tweeting neat little tidbits, such as the one he released on June 28th that stated, “Canadian researchers claim people tend to be more honest in a room that is well lit.”

Nice person mentions this week to Laury Ryan, Don Chesney, Phil Heilman, and Sharon and Darrel Kawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment