Thursday, July 29, 2010

BON JOVI REGINA REVIEW

For the first time I can recall, I saw a stadium show twice on the same tour as I got to see Kid Rock/Bon Jovi in Winnipeg about ten days ago and also last night in Regina.

It was interesting to say the least as I got to compare the two shows and make a determination as to what I liked better.  I would say Kid Rock was better in Regina and Bon Jovi was better in Winnipeg.

Kid Rock was less vulgar and seemed to take his performance a little more seriously.  I also failed to report from the Winnipeg show that the man is extremely talented.  Anyone that can sing a diverse library like he can, definitely is gifted.  He also, at the drop of one hat to another, can play guitar, drums, mix a record, etc.  I'm still not a fan, but I have a bit more respect.

Jon Bon Jovi appeared humble in Winnipeg.  I got the impression he really appreciated his crowd.  In Regina, he looked a bit more confident, even a little cocky at times.  At one point he said, "You don't pay me to talk, you pay me to sing and shake my ass."  Well, it's not what I paid him to do, but it still generated a rousing response from the crowd (which I have to give Winnipeg the edge on noise).  This is not meant as a slight, just an observation. 

I really liked how the set list changed from Winnipeg.  Personally, I liked Winnipeg's better; but they played 'In These Arms' last night and it was the first time I've heard them do that song live (I've seen them 5 times now).  Casualties from Winnipeg to Regina included 'Bed Of Roses', 'Have A Nice Day', 'Shout', and 'Runaway'.  They threw in a couple of new songs, including 'You Want To Make A Memory' last night.  The Winnipeg show was heavier.

Like Winnipeg, they did three encore songs; but the big edge to Regina here in that they performed a brand new song called 'Our House' and they filmed the video for it last night.  In fact, the song was so new, they did it twice (back to back) just to make sure it was done in a manner that made the band happy with the performance.  I don't think I've ever seen an act do that before.  He also offered up the song to the Roughriders to use as their theme song, which was a popular statement.


Just before Jon left the stage, he put on a Roughrider ball cap, which (as you can imagine) drew the loudest applause of the night.

Overall, I liked the Winnipeg show better; but if I hadn't been to that one I would have no complaints about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment